Monday, March 10, 2008

Thailand, the Land of Freedom?




Thailand is my mother country. I do love her. The word Thai (ไทย) is not, as commonly believed to be, derived from the word Tai (ไท) meaning "free" in the Thai language; it is, however, the name of an ethnic group from the central plains (the Thai people). A famous Thai scholar argued that Tai (ไท) simply means "people" or "human being." However, in mind the Thais seemed to have accepted the alternative meaning and will verbally state that it means "Land of the free".
However, i don't think that we are that "Free." Moreover,our mind is prisoned.
Normally Thai people feel like they are free, being able to be, do, or say whatever they want. Well, in a way it is. We are free under the so called "democratic constitution". But actually I think that our minds have already been programmed; in others words, we are not freed yet even today after the coup has left from the power. "Collectivism" in this society and the "Monopoly" of the Media are two main reasons behind.

How does the collectivism prison us? In Thailand, people care so much about what the others would think about them. We "need" to be recognized, and appreciated. One obvious thing as example is about owning Mercedez. I many times see some people drive it proudly. But have no money to buy even a house. The Reason is that people can see their car, not so often the house. They need that kind of silly car to look "cool" and, in oder for the privilege in this country where power distance is great.

For me? I also do things because of the "face". Honestly, it is one reason i'm doing my master now. However, i am lucky in the way that i like it.

Terrestrial TV is another factor. More than 20 years before i can afford cable TV, I had watched those free TV. And now I realize out that the way i think and what i behave are mostly influenced by it. Thai people, including me, think and do things in the same way. How can we hate "something" when there is "buzz" telling it's that "good" every day. We have no choice, we gotta to love it. Even now, i gotta censor myself mentioning about it. (Guess of what i'm mentioning here)

My mind has been programmed for 2 decades already. And these days i've been trying to free myself.

Personally, I think my country lacks of " Innovation". This is the reason why we are just here.

Anyway, i still love my motherland. Even i don't think like her anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey...I think the problem/situation/social constraint/collective-turns-fascistic state of mind that you are talking about doesn't occur only in Thailand or only with "Thai" people. It's the same thing here half-way around the world from where you are.

So, i don't know...maybe "there’s got to be more to life than this.
There’s got to be more to everything I thought exists"...maybe not.